Saturday, November 04, 2006

October 2006 - where did it go?

October News – it’s Nov.4th now….


I have been sitting “chatting “ to you for at least an hour and, as all too often happens, my musings have vanished, with the exception of paragraph one and the last two letters of the last word in paragraph 20, or thereabouts. I have searched………….Off I go again……….

Last time I wrote I was telling you of my “spell of breakages”. Well, that has paled into insignificance! But I’ll bring you up to date with other news first, as this saga is still ongoing and will be till my return from Edinburgh in about 10 days…….

I’m back to normal living, if such a thing exists, at Heron’s Flight, It is quite difficult to re-adjust, having had, from mid March, guests from all over the world and family and friends too. Yarrow and Sponge too have suddenly found the house very empty and quiet and have agreed, at least for the time being, to be best friends and even share the one beanbag!!
Cheque has gone back to his breeder for hibernation, so I’ll not be setting the alarm nightly, to “check” that the temperature is correct (6C) in the old fridge!

It seems so long since Sam was here and we were on the water in “Piglet”. She’s now covered for the winter. Another skill Sam learned was boomerang throwing! Geraldine and Neville from Australia stayed a few days and Neville instructed Sam in a few minutes – and sent lovely photos too. I kept the boomerang here, Neville, as Sam’s Granny did not see it approaching at speed and just ducked in time! We’ll be careful.

Three weeks ago, Yarrow and I went to Edinburgh and stayed the night with John. I was delighted to see that our Auntie Mima, now 97, was progressing well after having a stroke. I heard last night that she’ll be home next Wednesday – wonderful!
I captured Catriona, having had a little but not enough time with the family, then we headed north for a week of fun. Each evening, rain, wind or shine we went to the pier to fish. Most times we are satisfied when crabs are caught. Well, Catriona’s catch included TWO crabs on the one hook and TWO (little) fish on separate expeditions – the latter were no doubt delight ed to be re-united very soon after with their Mums…..The secret of successful pier fishing - a tiny hook and a piece of good guality unsmoked raw bacon!

A fortnight ago Catriona and I welcomed Ian and then John! Ian had four days only….. He and Catriona drove south and Ian flew from Turnhouse (Edinburgh) that afternoon, home to Toowoomba. John stayed a week and cleared my “to do, have tried, can’t” list. His industry spurred me, after his departure, to try my hand at sugar soaping, sanding, dusting, white spiriting and finally satin varnishing the kitchen cupboard doors, out and in – I’m quite pleased with the result, but, as there were 16 (smallish) doors, I’ll tackle something else next!!

Actually, I’m going to Edinburgh next weekend and will probably stay a few days. I want Moira to help choose a microwave oven, a gas hob with electric ignition and a radio with tape facility. If I was worth my salt I’d do it all sitting here – but I really prefer seeing the actual article – don’t you? When I come home I’ll write soon again and tell you how to procure new electrical goods for sometimes very old – at no cost!!! Sounds too good to be true and I admit there are a few drawbacks to this way of renewing household goods. But that’s my next tale!

I hope all is well with you.
Ann

No comments: